Originally uploaded by mary~lou




Originally uploaded by Jacq Scheele



Originally uploaded by JC / João Cruz

Christian Radich - Mascarón de Proa

Fragata noruega de 3 mástiles, atracada en el puerto de Las Palmas.
3 masted norwegian boat, moored at Las Palmas port.

Christian Radich is a Norwegian full rigged ship, named after a Norwegian shipowner. The vessel was built at Framnæs shipyard in Sandefjord, Norway, and was delivered on 17 June 1937. The owner was The Christian Radich Sail Training Foundation established by a grant from a cavalry and officer of that name.
The vessel is a full rigged three masted steel hull, callsign is LJLM, its homeport is Oslo, and the IMO number is 5071729. The class society is Det Norske Veritas, DNV, and its built to +1A1, E0.
The vessel is 62.5 m long, with an overall length of 73 m including the bowsprit and a maximum width of 9.7 m. She has a draught of about 4.7 meters and a displacement at full load of 1050 tons. Under engine power, the Christian Radich reaches a top speed of 10 knots, while she can make up to 14 knots under sail.
The crew is 18 all together. It can accommodate 88 passengers. The Christian Radich is well known through the international release in 1958 of the Cinemiracle widescreen movie Windjammer. The Christian Radich sailed to the United States in 1976 as part of the American Bi-Centennial Celebration, and was in New York Harbor on July 4, 1976.
The vessel was built for training sailors for the Norwegian merchant navy, and did so for many years. From 1999 and on, the ship has been on the charter market as well as sailing with paying trainees to foreign ports on summer trips, participating in the Cutty Sark Tall Ships' Race and large sail events in various European ports. She won on corrected time in Class A and overall the tall ship in total in 2007, and became the only class A vessel that crossed the finish line.

Pelican of London

Pelican of London
Originally uploaded by doublejeopardy
Crew on the bowsprit for the start of the Falmouth Tall Ships/ Funchal 500

The Pelican was built in Chantiers et Ateliers Augustin, Le Havre, 1948, as a double beam Arctic trawler.
The Pelican's square rig is unique & handed down from the Barbary Coast pirate ships.

T.S Pelican - The story so far - PART 1 PART 2


Aging Bow - 2009 9/365

Aging Bow - 2009 9/365
Originally uploaded by Kinematic Digit
An old wooden boat just deteriorating away down in the Songhees. The irony of this boat is that it is parked in an old lot that overlooks the ocean. She stares out to the sea, while no one will steer her in the place she was built for. Kind of sad really.


En ze varen één voor één voorbij...
And they fly one over ...
by Aline21 ( All rights reserved)
offical web site: http://aline21.web-log.nl/aline21/2009/06/fotos-botterwed.html


Nannie with Megs grey tail

Nannie with Megs grey tail
Originally uploaded by spicejam
Hercules Linton, designer of the Cutty Sark, was born in Inverbervie in 1837 .
This full scale replica of the ships figurehead was carved from Linton’s original drawings
The figurehead depicts the comely young witch in Burns’ poem Tam o’ Shanter grasping the tail of Tam’s grey mare.

Inverbervie is the birthplace of Hercules Linton, designer of the Cutty Sark, one of the fastest tea clippers - and named after the young witch in the poem "Tam o'Shanter" by Robbie Burns. Behind are typical red sandstone cottages for Angus.


Originally uploaded by !*Rogue Wizard*



Originally uploaded by ElizaB.

Amerigo Vespucci

Amerigo Vespucci (It) Passing the lock of IJmuiden (The Nethetlands)


Joseph Conrad

He renamed the Georg Stage the Joseph Conrad, and she became his training ship, setting sail with a crew of international apprentices around the world. The figurehead of the ship, which he sold in 1936 to a passing millionaire in New York harbour, is pictured here. The Joseph Conrad now resides in the Mystic Seaport Museum in Connecticut.

The Joseph Conrad is a sailing ship originally launched as the Georg Stage in 1882 and used to train sailors in Denmark, then bought in 1934 and renamed by Alan Villiers for a round-the-world cruise, and later used for training by the United States. Joseph Conrad is now a museum ship at Mystic Seaport in Connecticut.
Villiers saved Georg Stage from the scrappers and renamed the ship in honor of famed sea author Joseph Conrad. Villiers planned a circumnavigation with a crew of mostly boys. Conrad started from Ipswich on October 22, 1934, crossed the Atlantic Ocean to New York City, then down to Rio de Janeiro, Cape Town, and across the Indian Ocean and through the East Indies. After stops in Sydney, New Zealand, and Tahiti, Conrad rounded Cape Horn and returned to New York on October 16, 1936, having travelled a total of some 57,000 miles.
Villiers was broke as a result of the expedition (although he did get three books out of the episode - Cruise of the "Conrad", Stormalong, and Joey Goes to Sea), and sold the ship to George Huntington Hartford, who added an engine and used her as a yacht. In 1939 he transferred the vessel to the Maritime Commission, who used her for training until 1945. After being laid up for two years, the ship was transferred to Mystic Seaport.
In addition to her role as a museum, she is also a static training vessel.

Voyage ...

Voyage ...
Originally uploaded by asmundur
A ship which was built using the same methods as the vikings did 1000 years ago. When ready it was used to sail to America.


Sprit of New York

Chelsea Piers Sports & Entertainment Complex is a 28-acre waterfront sports village located between 17th and 23rd Streets along Manhattan's Hudson River. This $120 million, privately-financed project has transformed four historic, but long-neglected, piers into a major center for public recreation and waterfront access. Situated on Piers 59, 60, 61 and 62 and in the headhouse that connects them, the Complex features several sports and entertainment venues. We had a sandwich right here at the cafe with a view to The Spirit of New York!


Barque Juan Sebastián Elcano

Armada Española Galveston, Texas

Sirens - c.1837

Sirens - c.1837
Originally uploaded by aegean-blue
W. Etty - Manchester Art Galleries


Originally uploaded by frisar1
Technical data for the Kiellegung 1902:

Length waterline 36.0 m / Beam 8.2 m / 4.7 m height / 2.8 m Draft / Displacement 407 m / 3

Data 2008:

Length waterline 42.0 m / Beam 8.2 m / 4.7 m height / Draft max. 3.50 m / 570 m displacement empty / 3,
32 m mast, sail area 800 m / 2, total length 57.0 m

Auxiliary diesel V8 MAN 220 KVA, supplies 90 kVA Diesel Progress, auxiliary diesel Isuzu 30 kVA, 15 kVA Deutz Notdiesel.
Main Engine MWM RS 143, Built around 1942, max. 965 hp

3 x air compressors for starting 30 bar, hot steam cleaner 600 bar, dive compressor 200 bar, 1 low-pressure compressor Atlas Coopco, machine oil separator, bilge-oil separator, seawater desalination plant, UPS 20 KW three-phase current, 2 fire pumps permanently installed, 2 portable fire pumps. 1 independent bilge pump 20 kW, heating 40 kW, Hydraulikkran 3.5 tonnes
1 plasma welding machine 400 A, 1 electric welding machine 600 A, both are fixed.

5 islands a rescue 25 people, 2 board certified pharmacies, 2 x SCBA, 175 life jackets, night lights, distress rockets,
2 MOB Lanzen, life rings, 1 aluminum dinghy, unsinkable, self, length 5.2 m, 1 portable generator 220 V, 1 portable generator 24 V. 18 fire extinguishers, 3 of which are CO2, extinguishing system engine room and auxiliary diesel space CO2 Minimax, Minimax fire detection system, bilge water alarms, CO2 alarm.

2 x VHF DSC, 3 x VHF mobile, 2 x VHF GMDSS, 1x flight Icom radio, Inmarsat-C Thrane & Thrane, 2 radar transponders, Epirb 1 x, 1 x Navtex, 2 x echo sounder, 1 x magnetic compass, 1 x fluxgate compass, compass 1 x GPS, 2 x GPS, radar 48 SM, 2 navigation computer with UPS, 1 x Autopilot, 1 Kw receiver, 1 UPS for machine control, rear view camera.
For the first, 1871 on Jade designed wooden Außenjade had FS because of poor construction in a replacement contract be given. 1902 was experienced Meyer Werft Papenburg the contract for the construction of dreimastigen iron fire-ship, then the 1903 as Außenjade on the position 53 ° 52 'North and 7 ° 57 `East was set up.

The ship was built in the years 1931 / 32 modernized and extended by 5.5 meters. In addition, it received a driving machine and a Mittelklüse in the stem (Hot Lips). As a result, that the ship no longer, as hitherto before a Seitenklüse coming from the station chain is needed and thus in danger in case of bad weather situation for the ship and came chain.
On 27 October 1936 came the fire ship into an extremely dangerous situation. The days since the storm was prevailing at hurricane strength from the West. The Ebbstrom turned the ship into a bank on the lake and a aussergewöhnlch high and very heavy seas pushed the leeward totally under water. Furthermore, the Sturzsee the starboard side of the anchor capstans smashed. The vessel and crew were able only from the dangerous situation to be liberated by the anchor chain slippte. With the use of machinery and storm sails, the crew succeeded in dramatic circumstances, the ship despite heavy seas and storm on track to get to the Weser and the lighthouse Hoheweg anchoring. At the same time, capsized in the fire of the Elbe estuary ship "O` Swald mayor "and went with the whole crew lost.
During the 2nd World War, the ship's fire Aussenjade as "D" to the west of the Red Sand Lighthouse. It was on 30 March 1945 at the Spier equipment of the navy yard Wilhelm Harbor sunk by bomb hits.
After the war the ship was lifted and the Beckmann shipyard repaired. On 12 December 1951nahm ship its new space on the station P8 in the German Bight On.
On 15 November, the station canceled and the ship in the new traffic separation zone in the German Bight as
TW / Ems used.
On 13 March 1978 was the ship from service. The ship was then for 1 D-Mark at a club "sold". Various clubs and owners left the ship completely dilapidated but until then several years in the Hamburg harbor front dümpelte out. In June 2000 we bought the boat and after much work, effort and money to sail again as a three Sunthorice master.

Royal Barge

A Royal Barge (1865), BOSCH Telecom Inside Guide to Bangkok (1995), purchased & donated by Rong Dong, digitally mastered by user:kosigrim
Thailand's Royal Barge Procession (Thai: กระบวนพยุหยาตราชลมารค; RTGS: Krabuan Phayuhayattra Chonlamak) is a ceremony of both religious and royal significance which has been taking place for nearly 700 years. The exquisitely crafted Royal Barges are a blend of craftsmanship and traditional Thai art. The Royal Barge Procession takes place rarely, typically coinciding with only the most significant cultural and religious events. During the reign of King Bhumibol Adulyadej spanning over 60 years the Procession has only occurred 16 times.
The Royal Barge Procession, in the present, consists of 52 barges (51 historical Barges, and the Royal Barge the Narai Song Suban King Rama IX, built in 1994 and the only Barge built during King Bhumibol's reign) and is manned by 2,082 oarsmen. The Procession proceeds down the Chao Phraya River, from the Wasukri Royal Landing Place in Khet Dusit, Bangkok, passes the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, the The Grand Palace, Wat Po (Thai: วัดโพธิ์), and finally arrives at Wat Arun (Thai: วัดอรุณ, Temple of the Dawn).

Thailand's Royal Barge Procession most likely began during the Ayutthaya period, in the 14th century. Western visitors witnessed and wrote about the "immense procession with 200 boats" upon their arrival in Thailand in the 18th century. During the processions, the oarsmen were kept in rhythm by the beating of drums, with accompanying music. This traditional boat song was written by Prince Dhamma Dibes of the late Ayutthaya period.
In 1767, Burma invaded Thailand, and amid the destruction hundreds of the barges were burned and destroyed. General Taksin rallied the Thais, and established the new capital at Thonburi. During his short 15 year reign, Taksin ordered the reconstruction of the barge fleet, and used a fleet of 115 barges to carry the holy image of Buddha to the new capital.
General Chakri succeeded General Taksin on the latter's death, and moved the capital to present-day Bangkok, across the Chao Phraya river from Thonburi. General Chakri, the first king of the Chakri Dynasty, named King Buddha Yodfah, or Rama I, began the Royal Kathin Ceremony procession. The Kathin Ceremony is the presentation of robes Kathin Robes and making of merit in tribute to and support of the Buddhist Monks.
Soon after his accession to the throne in 1782, King Rama I ordered the construction of the Royal Barge Suphannahongse (also spelled Subanahongsa). The Royal Barge Suphannahongse was the principle Royal Barge for over 100 years. Rama VI, in 1911, launched its successor, also named Suphannahongse.
Prince Nakhon Sawan, during the reign of Rama V, regulated the formations, which became established as the standard "Major" and "Minor" formations still used today.
The Processions took place occasionally, until 1932, upon the dissolution of the absolute monarchy, and were not resumed until 1957, in celebration of the 25th century of the Buddhist Era. In 1959, H.M. King Bhumipol Adulyadej revived the Royal Barge Procession for the Royal Kathin.



Originally uploaded by Benjamin Asmussen
The stern of the reconstructed viking ship ROAR in Kattinge Vig near Roskilde, Denmark.


Originally uploaded by Nescio
Photo by Dick Sluis.
The klipper ran aground but came free in the next high water. The name of the ship is: Gouden Bodem, (Golden Bottom), sic!

Bietenrace 2008, finish

Bietenrace 2008, finish
Originally uploaded by Nescio
A very concentrated skipper Dik Hoogstad at the finish near Bruinisse on the last day of the race.


HMS Victory

HMS Victory is a first rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, started in 1759 and launched in 1765, most famous as Lord Nelson's flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar. She is the oldest naval ship still in commission, and now sits in dry dock in Portsmouth, England as a museum ship.

In December 1758, the commissioner of Chatham Dockyard was instructed to prepare a dry dock for the construction of a new first-rate ship. This was an unusual occurrence at the time as the Royal Navy preferred smaller and more manoeuvrable ships, and it was unusual for more than two to be in commission simultaneously; during the whole of the 18th century only ten were constructed.

The outline plans arrived in June 1759 and were based on HMS Royal George which had been launched at Woolwich Dockyard in 1756. The naval architect chosen to design the ship was Sir Thomas Slade who, at the time, was the appointed Surveyor of the Navy. She was designed to carry at least 100 guns; in practice, her armament varied from 104 to 106 guns and carronades.

The keel was laid on 23 July 1759 in the Old Single Dock (since renamed No. 2 Dock and now Victory Dock), and the name was finally chosen in October 1760. It was to commemorate the Annus Mirabilis or Year of Victories, of 1759. In that year of the Seven Years' War, land victories had been won at Quebec, Minden and naval battles had been won at Lagos and Quiberon Bay. There were some doubts whether this was a suitable name since the previous first-rate Victory had been lost with all on board in 1744.

50°48′06.52″N 1°06′34.5″W

Once the frame had been constructed, it was normal to cover the ship up and leave it for several months to season. However, the end of the Seven Years' War meant that she remained in this condition for nearly three years, which helped her subsequent longevity. Work restarted in autumn 1763 and she was finally launched on 7 May 1765, having cost £63,176 and 3 shillings (present day £50 million) and used around 6000 trees, 90% of which were oak and the remainder elm, pine and fir.

Because there was no immediate use for her, she was placed in ordinary—in reserve, roofed over, dismasted and placed under general maintenance—moored in the River Medway for 13 years until France joined the American War of Independence.

In March 1778, John Lindsay was appointed her first captain, but he was transferred to captain HMS Prince George in May 1778 when Admiral the Honorable Augustus Keppel decided to raise his flag in Victory. She was commissioned in May 1778 under the command of Rear Admiral John Campbell (1st Captain) and Captain Jonathan Faulknor (2nd Captain), with the flag of Admiral Keppel. She was armed with smooth bore, cast iron cannon thirty 32- and 42-pounders (15 and 19 kg), thirty 24-pounders (11 kg), and forty 12-pounders (5 kg). Later, she also carried two carronade guns, firing 68-lb (31 kg) round shot.

HMS Victory's Bowsprit

Title : HMS Victory's Bowsprit Description : This photograph of HMS Victory shows a front view after the removal of the bowsprit. The timbers supporting the heel of the bowsprit were found to be so weakened that the figurehead could be crushed. This 68 foot steel bipole weighing 10.25 was used to support the bowsprit and prevent it from resting on the figurehead. Creator : Portsmouth Royal Dockyard Historic Trust, Accession Number : 7979

Miranda 2

Miranda 2
Originally uploaded by Parks925



by citronsyra

T/S Britta by Emely [away working].
"One glorious week of sailing has come to an end, and now I'm left with sifting through the memories... oh well, at least there's about 800 pics to play around with so I guess I'll keep busy ;)" by Emely [away working]

Sailing with T/S Britta by citronsyra.
We are now on or way to Frederikhavn (Denmark) from Havden (Norway) (see the map). We are sailing at 5-6knots at the moment. I don't know if it is possible to see here, but one guy is up at the top of the mast trying to set the top-sail. by citronsyra


Originally uploaded by Parks925
Roseway was built for Harold Hathaway of Taunton, Massachusetts at the John F. James & Son shipyard in Essex. Hathaway's intention was to build a boat which might best the Canadians in the international fisherman's races popular at that time; to that end, Roseway was impeccably maintained and used only occasionally as a fishing boat.
In 1941, Roseway was purchased by the Boston Pilot's Association to serve as a pilot boat for Boston Harbor. Following the attack on Pearl Harbor later that year, mines and anti-submarine netting were installed to protect the Port of Boston, and all lighted navigational aids were extinguished. Roseway was fitted with a .50 caliber machine gun and continued her piloting duties in this challenging environment, for which service her pilots were awarded a bronze plaque from the Coast Guard at the end of the war.
Roseway continued to serve as a pilot vessel until the early 1970s, at which point she and San Francisco's Zodiac were the only pilot schooners still in service in the United States. She was then sold and converted into a passenger vessel for the tourist trade. Roseway changed hands several times in the ensuing decades, operating primarily out of Camden, Maine and the US Virgin Islands. In 1997, she was listed as a National Historic Landmark. Roseway, at that time, retained between eighty and ninety percent of her original hull fabric and was badly in need of repairs. She remained docked in Rockland, Maine until she was repossessed by the First National Bank of Damariscotta, which in 2002 donated the vessel to the newly founded World Ocean School.
Following two years of restoration in Boothbay Harbor, Roseway again set sail in 2005. She currently serves as the platform for the World Ocean School, which offers various educational programs in St. Croix and the northeastern United States.


Hanging Out on a Limb

Hanging Out on a Limb
Originally uploaded by MAJH12
Preparing the brig NIAGARA for departure from Put-in-Bay