Fragata noruega de 3 mástiles, atracada en el puerto de Las Palmas. 3 masted norwegian boat, moored at Las Palmas port.
Christian Radich is a Norwegian full rigged ship, named after a Norwegian shipowner. The vessel was built at Framnæs shipyard in Sandefjord, Norway, and was delivered on 17 June 1937. The owner was The Christian Radich Sail Training Foundation established by a grant from a cavalry and officer of that name.
The vessel is a full rigged three masted steel hull, callsign is LJLM, its homeport is Oslo, and the IMO number is 5071729. The class society is Det Norske Veritas, DNV, and its built to +1A1, E0.
The vessel is 62.5 m long, with an overall length of 73 m including the bowsprit and a maximum width of 9.7 m. She has a draught of about 4.7 meters and a displacement at full load of 1050 tons. Under engine power, the Christian Radich reaches a top speed of 10 knots, while she can make up to 14 knots under sail.
The crew is 18 all together. It can accommodate 88 passengers. The Christian Radich is well known through the international release in 1958 of the Cinemiracle widescreen movie Windjammer. The Christian Radich sailed to the United States in 1976 as part of the American Bi-Centennial Celebration, and was in New York Harbor on July 4, 1976.
The vessel was built for training sailors for the Norwegian merchant navy, and did so for many years. From 1999 and on, the ship has been on the charter market as well as sailing with paying trainees to foreign ports on summer trips, participating in the Cutty Sark Tall Ships' Race and large sail events in various European ports. She won on corrected time in Class A and overall the tall ship in total in 2007, and became the only class A vessel that crossed the finish line.
An old wooden boat just deteriorating away down in the Songhees. The irony of this boat is that it is parked in an old lot that overlooks the ocean. She stares out to the sea, while no one will steer her in the place she was built for. Kind of sad really.
Hercules Linton, designer of the Cutty Sark, was born in Inverbervie in 1837 . This full scale replica of the ships figurehead was carved from Linton’s original drawings The figurehead depicts the comely young witch in Burns’ poem Tam o’ Shanter grasping the tail of Tam’s grey mare.
Inverbervie is the birthplace of Hercules Linton, designer of the Cutty Sark, one of the fastest tea clippers - and named after the young witch in the poem "Tam o'Shanter" by Robbie Burns. Behind are typical red sandstone cottages for Angus.
He renamed the Georg Stage the Joseph Conrad, and she became his training ship, setting sail with a crew of international apprentices around the world. The figurehead of the ship, which he sold in 1936 to a passing millionaire in New York harbour, is pictured here. The Joseph Conrad now resides in the Mystic Seaport Museum in Connecticut.
The Joseph Conrad is a sailing ship originally launched as the Georg Stage in 1882 and used to train sailors in Denmark, then bought in 1934 and renamed by Alan Villiers for a round-the-world cruise, and later used for training by the United States. Joseph Conrad is now a museum ship at Mystic Seaport in Connecticut.
Villiers saved Georg Stage from the scrappers and renamed the ship in honor of famed sea author Joseph Conrad. Villiers planned a circumnavigation with a crew of mostly boys. Conrad started from Ipswich on October 22, 1934, crossed the Atlantic Ocean to New York City, then down to Rio de Janeiro, Cape Town, and across the Indian Ocean and through the East Indies. After stops in Sydney, New Zealand, and Tahiti, Conrad rounded Cape Horn and returned to New York on October 16, 1936, having travelled a total of some 57,000 miles.
Villiers was broke as a result of the expedition (although he did get three books out of the episode - Cruise of the "Conrad", Stormalong, and Joey Goes to Sea), and sold the ship to George Huntington Hartford, who added an engine and used her as a yacht. In 1939 he transferred the vessel to the Maritime Commission, who used her for training until 1945. After being laid up for two years, the ship was transferred to Mystic Seaport.
In addition to her role as a museum, she is also a static training vessel.